Friday, August 29, 2014

AFC North Preview

Slowly but surely, we've been working our way around the country. Half the league is done, and we have yet to come across any wild cards. Playing the odds, you'll probably see one today, right? Read on to find out.

Because I have no shame, I'd like to once again invite you readers to join in on picking games against the spread with me. ESPN's Pigskin Pick 'Em is free, and you can join the COAS group to see how well you can do picking games against me. After all, I can be an idiot sometimes.

But for now, let's get to today's preview. Today, we take a look at the AFC North.

Common opponents on schedule: AFC South, NFC South

1. Cincinnati Bengals
2013: 11-5 (1st), lost in AFC Wild Card Round
While I think he's a good quarterback, I don't understand why the Bengals gave Andy Dalton a 9 figure deal. He leads a good offense though; there's a solid two-pronged rushing attack of Giovani Bernard and the Law Firm, and AJ Green is a legitimate #1 receiver. On defense, the front seven is solid, and while I'm not as high on the secondary as I am that front unit, they allowed the fifth-fewest passing yards in the league last year. That has to count for something. They're good enough to make the playoffs again. I'm just not sold on what happens when they get there.
2014 Prediction: 10-6

2. Baltimore Ravens
2013: 8-8 (T-2nd), missed playoffs
The Ravens are one of 15 defending Super Bowl champs to miss the playoffs in their title defense year. A down year offensively didn't help (the Ravens were 18th in passing and 30th in rushing last year), and missing Ray Rice for the first two games for being a horrible fiancé during the offseason hurts them too (it should hurt them more than just two games, but that's another story). Joe Flacco gets another weapon this year in Steve Smith, which should help the passing game somewhat. The wheels didn't fall off too bad on defense last year either, and the unit they have isn't too shabby. Drafting CJ Mosley out of Alabama was a good pick in the first, and if he can live up to the standard of Ray Lewis, the Ravens should be in the hunt again this year.
2014 Prediction: 9-7, Wild Card

3. Cleveland Browns
2013: 4-12 (4th), missed playoffs
Call me crazy, but this defense should be good. Joe Haden is like Nnamdi Asomugha was during his Oakland days, and adding Justin Gilbert to play opposite him makes for a pretty darn good corner tandem. It's the offense that gives me pause. Miles Austin is pretty much the #1 receiver by default since Josh Gordon is done for the year due to suspension. The running game isn't good unless Ben Tate turns into a sleeper, and I'm not sure what to make at quarterback. Brian Hoyer was decent for stretches last year, but if he struggles, Johnny Manziel waits in the wings. (Honestly, I think he's overrated. Will probably become an average starter someday, but not this year).
2014 Prediction: 6-10

4. Pittsburgh Steelers
2013: 8-8 (T-2nd), missed playoffs
This is probably the biggest "Huh?" that I'm calling for this season., but I think the recent news about top two running backs LeGarrette Blount and Le'veon Bell facing possible suspensions really hurts. Even with Big Ben leading the offense, I'm not sold on their receivers either. There are some interesting names on defense, like first round pick Ryan Shazier, but Troy Polamalu isn't getting any younger. This might be a stretch, but I have a hunch it's going to be a down year for the black and gold.
2014 Prediction: 5-11

There's one wild card, which means the other is coming from the AFC West. If you're looking for a football fix tomorrow before the college games start, I can oblige, especially for my local readers. The NFC North predictions will be up tomorrow! Will they be able to sneak two teams into the playoffs? Check back in the morning and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment