Sunday, May 19, 2013

NBA Conference Finals Preview

There was a fair amount of drama and some good basketball being played in the past couple weeks as part of the NBA Playoffs. Even though the Bulls are no longer in, I plan on predicting everything down to the NBA Finals, if for no other reason than I like to prognosticate things.

For the most part, I share Geoffy's thoughts about this Bulls season. I'm disappointed they got ousted by the Heat again, though I expected it, and they gave the Heat a decent series. I'm immensely proud of this Bulls team for sticking together and overachieving without their best player, and I'm looking forward to next season.

So without further ado, here's how I figure the conference championships are going to play out.

Eastern Conference
(1) Miami Heat vs (3) Indiana Pacers
While I did pick the Knicks to win the series against Indy, I'm not too surprised the Pacers pulled off the upset. They're a good team and the Knicks are a little overrated (depending on how much Carmelo Anthony is going off). This is a tough defensive team, and Roy Hibbert is a beast down low who will likely cause some problems for the Heat. The biggest concern for Miami going forward though is the health of Dwyane Wade (and whether or not he decides to flop some more). A semi-healthy Wade is probably more than enough to push the Heat over the top. If not, the Pacers could sneak away with a trip to the Finals. I'm just not quite sure I see that happening. Who takes the last shot for Indiana? Heat in six.

Western Conference
(2) San Antonio Spurs vs (5) Memphis Grizzlies
I'd forgotten that I took Memphis over OKC, and then was kind of relieved that I called it like I had. Memphis is recapturing the magic of their 2011 run when they knocked off the Spurs and took Oklahoma City to 7 games. Even at 37, Tim Duncan is still doing Tim Duncan things, and Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are still playing crucial roles. The big question for them though is whether or not they can stop Z-Bo and Mike Conley, who has really stepped up his game in the postseason. As much as I like the experience and championship mettle the Spurs bring to the table, Memphis is younger, probably hungrier, and plays the kind of tenacious basketball you need to win in the postseason. Send them on to the Finals, but not without a fight. Grizzlies in seven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment