Wednesday, March 27, 2013

2013 MLB Preview: NL Central

I've already done half the teams in baseball to this point and now I get to do my division earlier than I did last year. This time I wanted to get the defending champion the last word, so the NL Central gets bumped to the middle of the previews this time.

NL Central
I was a late comer to baseball, so the Cubs and the NL Central are all I really know for the most part, and it's a little weird to be in a 5 team division now. Or maybe that's just the lack of being able to go on about how the Cubs can avoid the basement because another team in their division sucks more. Do I get that same luxury this year? And will I pick this division a little better this year?

1. St. Louis Cardinals
2012: 88-74, 2nd in NL Central, lost in NLCS
Granted, the Cards will start down a little bit since closer Jason Motte might begin the year on the DL and Chris Carpenter is hurt again. Even without those arms, this is a good rotation anchored by Adam Wainwright. Even in year 2 post-Pujols, the lineup is still scary with Matt Holliday and Carlos Beltran (if he's healthy) looming, and their role players are among the best in the game. And knowing them, they'll be a tough out in the playoffs again. Did I mention I hate the Cardinals?
2013 Projection: 93-69

2. Cincinnati Reds
2012: 97-65, 1st in NL Central, lost in NLDS
I had a tough call between these guys and the Cardinals. I think on the whole, their lineups are pretty balanced, given that Joey Votto is about as good as they come and he's got plenty of protection, including Shin Soo Choo moving across the state. I really like their bullpen, but I think it ultimately comes down to the rotations. Johnny Cueto is really good, and the guys who follow him are good too, but I think I like that Cardinal rotation just a tad better. This is going to be a fun race to follow.
2013 Projection: 92-70, Wild Card

3. Pittsburgh Pirates
2012: 79-83, 4th in NL Central
The last time this team had a winning season, I wasn't even 3 years old yet.  There have been some dismal teams over the years, but the future is finally starting to look bright for this Bucs team. Their pitching is decent and there's some good young pieces in the lineup around Andrew McCutchen. They won't compete for the division this year (though they have spent time in first place in the summer months of late) but this team could certainly break that .500 ceiling.
2013 Projection: 81-81

4. Milwaukee Brewers
2012: 83-79, 3rd in NL Central
Aside from Yovani Gallardo, this rotation has a lot of youth and I'm not too sold on them. Once again though, this is a very potent lineup that can do a lot of damage. The biggest question mark though is with Ryan Braun. He put up good numbers again last year despite the allegations of drug use, and the scrutiny is higher this year with his name showing up on client lists. If he is even eligible to play the full season, he might not perform up to the same standard. Could be a tough year up in Wisconsin.
2013 Projection: 78-84

5. Chicago Cubs
2012: 61-101, 5th in NL Central
With no Houston to thank for sucking more than them, the Cubs might have to deal with the basement this year. It's year 2 of what Cubs fans have accepted as a rebuilding program. Many of the pieces Cub fans are hoping to see bring the team back to prominence will be in the minors this season, and pieces the Cubs hoped to have in place are hurt again (Matt Garza is likely out until May and Ian Stewart will probably start the year on the DL after missing almost all of last season. While I will enjoy a full season of Anthony Rizzo hitting baseballs onto Sheffield and Starlin Castro spray the ball everywhere while hopefully not having any more mental gaffes, otherwise this is going to be a long year in Chicago. Maybe we can at least get the Wrigley deal done.
2013 Projection: 67-95

I'm off work the next 2 days, so I will try to get the last 2 previews up as soon as I can. We head west tomorrow in the American League and see if maybe Houston can avoid the basement in their new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment