Sunday, April 15, 2012

Karma in the Desert

I'm getting an opportunity before I go to bed to catch some more playoff hockey and I'm getting a sick sense of joy watching the LA Kings beating up on the Vancouver Canucks. If they make a comeback and end up against the Hawks, I'll talk about these guys. But for now, the 3-6 matchup in the Western Conference has been interesting so far, tied at one game apiece.

I had said last week that Phoenix was a fairly talented team but not one I was too worried about against the Hawks. I was a little overconfident; this Coyotes team is very talented and they've showed some flashes of brilliance. They've earned their way to a division title and to be tied after 2 games in this series.

That being said, many NHL fans have been complaining about the officiating throughout the playoffs, and it's been a problem in this series as well. I didn't catch much of Game 1 because of my work schedule, but saw Phoenix's first goal. They should have been called for a too many men penalty right before the score. Honestly though, the penalty didn't impact the play, and it's Chicago's own fault there for letting Phoenix keep the puck in their zone for almost 2 straight minutes. A goal was bound to happen. The goals on Saturday, however, were another story.

I just missed the play above last night but caught the ensuing Phoenix goal. This came after an earlier bogus goaltender interference on Jonathan Toews where Smith pushed him and got the call. Let me be clear. Andrew Shaw should not have gone after that puck with Smith back there. He deserved a penalty, even if it was a major. A game misconduct may have been a little much, but that should be the end of it.

The main thing I got out of this: Mike Smith earned an Oscar nomination with this play. I watched the hit a few times. Shaw's shoulder clearly gets Smith in the head. But to say Smith embellished the hit is an understatement. I highly doubt someone who allegedly got "knocked out cold" by this hit would get up immediately after finding out Shaw got a game misconduct, then proceeded to finish the game. I showed this clip to my girlfriend, who is not a sports fan, and she said that Shaw tried to get out of Smith's way.

To be fair: I think Mike Smith is a good goaltender. He's made some fantastic saves all series long, and he's been busy. But I also think he's a scummy hockey player based on these plays in Game 2. And many Hawks fans have spoken up about how the overtime win yesterday is karma. I have to agree.

I still think this series is going to the Hawks in 6. The United Center is a nightmare to play in as an opposing player. The Hawks have a 2 game home playoff winning streak, and have won 7 of their last 8 dating back to the 2010 Cup run. The officiating will hopefully be more balanced, and hopefully Brendan Shanahan will realize how badly Smith dove on the Shaw hit and not suspend Shaw (though knowing Shanahan, he'll suspend him for a game and keep up the inconsistency of punishment).

Phoenix, be on watch. You're in the Madhouse now. Let Chelsea Dagger ring on throughout the Chicago night on Tuesday and Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment