Thursday, October 17, 2024

2024 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 7

If we go by weeks, we are officially a third of the way through the NFL season. And with that, we begin the second period of picking NFL games against the spread.

I was thrilled mid-afternoon on Sunday as I was in good shape, but I crashed a little bit in the late slate. Ultimately, Adam took four of seven games from me, I took three of five from Joe, and Adam took five of eight from Joe in Week 6. This means for the column, Adam was able to gain a little bit of ground, as I find myself seven games back and Joe nine. Groupwise though, Adam was outshone by much of the rest of the group, and his overall lead has been trimmed to just three games.

You can view how we've all picked in relation to each other here. Part of the reason everyone had decent weeks was the fact that collectively the group went 0-4 on hero picks, including Adam missing a couple. As such, I'm the only one without a miss on a hero pick; unfortunately that's out of a sample size of two, which doesn't help my cause. We hit on our lone consensus pick this week though, which puts us at easily our best mark since we started keeping track back in 2016.

And so as we look ahead to Week 7, I disagree with both Joe and Adam on seven games apiece, while the two of them disagree on eight games out of 15. This could be a big week of shakeups, so let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Denver Broncos @ New Orleans Saints (+1.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Maybe Spencer Rattler is the answer; I don't know for sure. I think I do know that the Saints teased everyone through two weeks, plus the second quarter against Tampa, and I'm not falling for it.
Adam: Broncos. A minor battle between two rookie QBs. Not much to see here. This may end up as one of the lesser TNF games this year, but Denver is the better team here, and the team that has more time with their rookie QB. Also looking at common opponent (Tampa), Denver won and the Saints got slaughtered.
Joe: Saints.

Sunday Morning

New England Patriots @ Jacksonville Jaguars (-5.5)
Lucas: Patriots. To paraphrase Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:
    Listen, my children, and no attention pay
    To this London battle of Lawrence and Maye;
    For the play will likely be poor
    In this October of Twenty-Four,
    That none will remember this infamous day.

    I said to my friend, "If the British march
    By land or sea from Wembley to-night,
    Hang a lantern aloft in the belfrey arch
    Of the North Church tower, as a signal light.
    One, if by land, and two, if by sea,
    Three, if by fumble, four, if by I-N-T.
    And I in suburban Chicago will be,
    Ready to drive and spread the alarm
    Through every Foxboro tavern and bar,
    For the Patriot fans to be up and to arm.

Adam: Jaguars. Now the home away from home has the Jags as the home team. Sunshine goes off for his Sunshine fans. Also, does anyone else chuckle when the national anthem is sung in England? The whole song is about how we beat them at the Battle of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.
Lucas note: Honestly, they'd probably just threaten to burn the White House down again. History!
Joe: Jaguars.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Seattle Seahawks @ Atlanta Falcons (-3.5)
Lucas: Falcons. Are the Seahawks frauds? As a refresher, they have wins over a Week 1 Denver team by three, needed overtime to beat the Patriots, and beat the Dolphins right after they lost Tua. Since then they've notched losses to the Lions (fair), the Giants (derp), and the Niners (also fair). Mini bye or no, Atlanta is better and I think they win by a score or two.
Adam: Falcons. I am going with the "West coast teams traveling easy and playing in the early slot often fail to cover" theory in what should be a very entertaining game.
Lucas note: Adam expected me to drop that nugget in mine, so I'll drop it here. So far in 2024, West coast teams playing east in this time slot are 4-6 against the ESPN spread.
Joe: Falcons.

Tennessee Titans @ Buffalo Bills (-8.5)
Lucas: Bills. I balked at this a little bit at first, but we have to remember: the Titans are not a good football team. Giving Josh Allen a new toy in Amari Cooper doesn't hurt, either.

Adam: Bills. Eeek. A touchdown-plus line is never a fun line to handicap, but with the addition of Cooper, I think this may just put the Bills over the top. And Tennessee is not good. I’ll probably regret it as this probably ends as a six or seven point game, but I’ll lay the points and hope.
Joe: Titans.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Cleveland Browns (+4.5)
Lucas: Bengals. Let's bring back an old favorite.

Adam: Bengals. The Battle of the [expletive] that is Ohio. Next.
Joe: Browns.

Houston Texans @ Green Bay Packers (-2.5)
Lucas: Packers. Please don't blow up my car, Strouds.
Adam: Texans. Just because the Packers just waived my cousin’s cousin as their place kicker. They will rue the day. Also because Houston is the better team IMO.
Lucas note: Be honest: you just don't want the Strouds to blow up your car.
Joe: Packers.

Miami Dolphins @ Indianapolis Colts (-3.5)
Lucas: Colts. Again: Joe Flacco is elite.
Adam: Colts. Until Miami gets a better QB, they will never have a chance. I hear Pittsburgh may be showcasing Wilson to entice a trade... that would immediately upgrade Miami, but until then, pass.
Joe: Colts.

Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings (-2.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Partially because I think the Lions blew their load in Dallas. Which... I don't blame them. Also, get well soon, Aidan Hutchinson.
Adam: Lions. A moment of silence for Aidan’s leg. I don’t think this is what Campbell meant by “Bite their knees on the way up.”
Joe: Lions.

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants (+3.5)
Lucas: Eagles. I almost went the other way here, but I got burned by that late touchdown on Sunday night and I'm slightly bitter.
Adam: Giants. First off, Daniel Jones has been playing much better this year compared to years past. And if he can get Nabors back, this is a no brainer. The Filthy Birds have been less than impressive this year so far, just beating teams I expected to be easy wins, and losing close games that they could have performed better in.
Joe: Eagles.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Las Vegas Raiders @ Los Angeles Rams (-5.5)
Lucas: Rams. Normally I wouldn't take the Rams as almost a touchdown favorite, but the Raiders are not good.
Adam: Rams. There is just too much going on in Las Vegas that I don’t see them being together enough to succeed. Not sure what is more notable: the trade of Davante Adams, or Tom Brady being approved for minority ownership.
Lucas note: From what I saw, the Brady ownership screws over his broadcasting career.

Joe: Raiders. 

Carolina Panthers @ Washington Commanders (-7.5)
Lucas: Commanders. After missing out by half a point this past week on the cover, I think Washington bounces back nicely.
Adam: Panthers. Don’t get me wrong here, Commanders win, but I can see this as a game Washington overlook because they are looking forward to the Bears visiting next week. It’s that half point that I am afraid of.
Joe: Panthers.

Kansas City Chiefs @ San Francisco 49ers (-1.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Because inevitably, something stupid is going to happen. Either the incompetence that is NFL officiating will, and if they don't, Kyle Shanahan will do Kyle Shanahan things.
Adam: Chiefs. Given how San Francisco has played this year, how is this line so low? I bet this line is more a function of the fact that KC has played “low” scoring and close games all season. Seems like 25 is the magic number for the Niners: if they can pass that they win. If KC can keep them under 25, they win. But I still don’t think it’s a one point game.
Joe: Chiefs. Never bet against Andy Reid off a bye.
Lucas note: For reference, Andy Reid is 21-4 coming off a bye, including his time in Philly. That's the best winning percentage all time among all coaches who have a minimum of ten games under their belt.

Sunday Night

New York Jets @ Pittsburgh Steelers (+0.5)
Lucas: Steelers. While the transition to Packers East continues in the wake of the Davante Adams trade that pretty much everyone was expecting, I don't know how much it necessarily helps. Yes, it gives Aaron Rodgers his cheat code receiver, but is that enough to overcome the never ending BS that is Steeler football? I'm not convinced it is, even if Rodgers manages to pull off yet another Hail Mary.
Adam: The Jets brought to you by Aaron Rodgers. Because... Rodgers. Now, I would really laugh if something happens to A A Ron at this point in the season. Get rid of the coach - Done, get my wide receiver - Check, oh never mind I’m going to take an season ending injury. (NOTE: I am not actually wishing injury on Rodgers, or anyone, I just think IF it were to happen it would give me a little chuckle for the bad luck.)
Lucas note: Normally I change Adam's thing to just be the team nickname, but I had to keep it as Adam wrote it.
Joe: Steelers.

Monday Night

Baltimore Ravens @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3.5)
Lucas: Ravens. Tampa's inconsistent and the Ravens seem to be figuring things out. I'll lay the points.
Adam: Ravens. I really want to take Tampa Bay. Coming off a big game and the Ravens off a tough battle just seems ripe for the home dog. But the Ravens run game is just so so good. I’ll hope Henry and Jackson can keep that up and run, literally, away with this game.
Joe: Ravens.

Los Angeles Chargers @ Arizona Cardinals (+2.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Partially a "I don't trust the Chargers" pick, partially a solidarity pick with homecoming this weekend at North Central. Sorry in advance, North Park.

Adam. Chargers. This is purely an MHJ pick. With his possibly being out with a concussion, I am going to lay the points on the road and hope that he is actually out. Even with him in, I think the Chargers still have a fair chance to cover so I will stick with it either way.
Joe: Cardinals.

Bonus Pick

Jerra @ The Fan (-105.3)
Lucas note: This was an Adam feature, and I couldn't not include this.
Adam: The Fan. If you haven’t heard Jerra’s meltdown, listen below. Basically, the guys on the Fan were asking Jerra normal questions and Jerra lost his ever living gourd on them saying he was going to fire them. Then he has the audacity to give an interview later where he doubles down on his bad behavior and calls the Fan out again that he was pissed. All because he is the worst GM in the NFL and he thinks he made good moves in the off season when in fact he basically did nothing. I could go on, but Jerra, you need to not be the GM for you beloved Heiferladies. Remember: silly Jerra, Super Bowls are for winners. You sir, are not a winner.


Lucas: The Fan. I'm usually hesitant to lay double digits, so triple digits would normally scare the bejesus out of me unless it's my Madden 2011 franchise mode where the Packers are aiming for their 23rd straight 19-0 Super Bowl season and I've recently won games 196-0 (sorry, Bears), 205-7 (not sorry, Vikings), and 181-0 (again: please don't blow up my car, Strouds). This, however, is the exception. The questions Jerra was getting asked were legitimate questions and not a personal attack... unless you're a spoiled billionaire who wants all of the credit and none of the blame. Also, for old time's sake:

Joe: The Fan. 

Records So Far
Lucas: 47-45 (8-6 last week)
Adam: 54-38 (9-5 last week)
Joe: 45-47 (7-7 last week)
Geoffrey: 50-42 (12-2 last week)
Jim: 49-43 (11-3 last week)
John: 46-46 (8-6 last week)
Matthew: 50-42 (10-4 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment