Thursday, September 29, 2022

2022 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 4

The coalition is back at it again in the wake of the Great Reversal as we prepare for Week 4 of the NFL season!

I mention the Great Reversal again because it was a key talking point going into Week 3. But if the reversal happened... it hit my co-authors more so than it hit me.

While I had a nice bounceback week, it was Joe who shined in Week 3, as he took four of our seven disputed games and picked up a five game sweep of Adam, while I swept the four disputed games with Adam.

Adam's Great Reversal sees him drop into a tie with Joe, but they are only three games off the lead both in the column and in the group (bearing in mind that I screwed up a Week 2 pick and have one more win on ESPN than I should). You can also view how we've picked in relation to each other here. The big story through three weeks is that while we suck when we agree (a 3-7 mark in consensus games is... not great), anyone who's gone hero has seen a ton of early success (a combined 14-4 mark for those of us brave enough to do so).

Adam and I are also working on a new feature to add to the weekly column, as he went a little more in depth and was grabbing numbers by home/road and breaking that down further by favorites and underdogs. He also broke it down by game time, and I'm hoping to be able to have these numbers available as well.

As we look ahead to Week 4, Adam and I disagree on a whopping nine games (you'll see why), Joe and I on only three, and Joe and Adam on ten (again, you'll see why). Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Miami Dolphins @ Cincinnati Bengals (-3.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. I wonder if the NFL would force Stephen Ross to sell the Dolphins between the tampering charges and now the whole Tua concussion controversy from this past week...
Adam: Bengals. Miami is going to be icing its bum after last week's butt punt.

Lucas note: Joe: Dolphins.

Sunday Morning

Minnesota Vikings vs New Orleans Saints (+2.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Oh cool, the Vikings get to break the Saints' hearts on another continent.
Adam: Saints. Tough call here, so I am just going "home" team.
Lucas note: Yes, Adam is aware this game is in London. Only edit I made was the quotation marks, and only because you may see a trend.
Joe: Vikings.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Cleveland Browns @ Atlanta Falcons (+1.5)
Lucas: Browns. Jacoby Brissett is holding down the fort pretty well so far, that... whatever the hell happened against the Jets notwithstanding (though that's not really his fault).
Adam: Falcons. This line seems off, and since it seems off I am going to give the oddsmaker some credit and bet with them. 1.5 points seems low, and for that reason I am taking it.
Joe: Browns.

Washington Commanders @ Dallas Cowboys (-3.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. Carson Wentz is gonna die, isn't he. Also, there's gonna be a quarterback controversy in DFW.
Adam: Cowboys. Maybe starting off as calling them the Heiferladies reversed how the season would go... so until further notice, I will be calling them the Cowboys. But don’t get used to it.
Joe: Cowboys.

Seattle Seahawks @ Detroit Lions (-5.5)
Lucas: Lions. I know they blew it against Minnesota, but I like their chances at home against a Seahawks team that already won its Super Bowl this year.
Adam: Lions. The Lions have been looking good this year: they played Philly hard and went down to the wire with Minnesota. I’ll lay 5.5 against an Pete Effing Carroll.
Joe: Lions.

Tennessee Titans @ Indianapolis Colts (-3.5)
Lucas: Colts. I could see this going either way, but I'll err towards the home team. Speaking of home teams...
Adam: Colts. Matty Ice is back, baby.
Joe: Titans.

Chicago Bears @ New York Giants (-3.5)
Lucas: Giants. Should be a nice bounceback day for Daniel Jones and crew.
Adam: Giants. Barkley is going to have a field (no pun intended) day.
Joe: Giants.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. Gonna go with a potential back door cover here, given that the Jags have looked pretty decent three weeks in.
Adam: Eagles. This is picking the team that is cooking, and that’s the birds (Eagles, that is).
Joe: Jaguars.

New York Jets @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-3.5)
Lucas: Steelers. But how much longer does Mitch have? Probably not much longer, right?
Adam: Steelers. Ehhhh, I don’t like it. Oh, and is the MILF Hunter coming back? I may reserve a right to change this if he is. MILFs unite.
Joe: Steelers.

Buffalo Bills @ Baltimore Ravens (+3.5)
Lucas: Bills. Given that Tua put up 42 on this Baltimore defense... I can't imagine the havoc Pissed Off Josh Allen will wreak.
Adam: Ravens. Lamar Jackson is unreal. He is on pace for 60+ touchdowns this year.
Joe: Bills.

Los Angeles Chargers @ Houston Texans (+5.5)
Lucas: Texans. Taking the points over a west coast team playing early, especially with the Texans being... not a dumpster fire so far.
Adam: Texans. Two reasons: one, the Chargers are banged up; and two, Houston has played three solid games.
Joe: Chargers.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Arizona Cardinals @ Carolina Panthers (-1.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Arizona's underwhelmed so far, but I don't know what to make of Carolina other than I think Panthers fans want Matt Rhule fired into the sun.
Adam: Panthers. This was originally picked as Arizona, but then I noticed with a couple of other changes earlier this was my only road pick. So I changed it. That is all.
Lucas note: Yep, for those of you who were noticing a trend... you were not wrong.
Joe: Cardinals.

New England Patriots @ Green Bay Packers (-10.5)
Lucas: Packers. I mean, barring Brian Hoyer having the game of his life (which against this Green Bay defense, not likely)... this could get ugly pretty quick.
Adam: Packers. Next.
Joe: Packers.

Denver Broncos @ Las Vegas Raiders (-2.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Romeo Doubs has more receiving yards in the past couple weeks than Davante Adams. I think we're fine.
Adam: Raiders. I mean, Vegas has had a rough start, but I think they turn it around.
Joe: Raiders.

Sunday Night

Kansas City Chiefs @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5)
Lucas: Chiefs. Press F to pay respects to the Raymond James jumbotron operator who showed something they weren't supposed to that may or may not have led to the Packers escaping with a two point victory. Also press F to pay respects to the many Microsoft Surfaces destroyed by Tom Brady.


Adam: Buccaneers. This will be my last chance with Brady. He gets Evans back, so let's see what he can do on SNF.
Joe: Chiefs.

Monday Night

Los Angeles Rams @ San Francisco 49ers (-2.5)
Lucas: Rams. Somewhere, Dan Orlovsky is smiling.


Adam: 49ers. More of a gut pick than any fatucal basis.
Lucas note: And also the fact that he only picked home teams this week.
Joe: Rams.

Records So Far
Lucas: 21-27 (8-8 last week)
Adam: 18-30 (4-12 last week)
Joe: 18-30 (9-7 last week)
Geoffrey: 15-33 (5-11 last week)
Jim: 16-32 (6-10 last week)
Tom: 21-27 (7-9 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment