Wednesday, November 21, 2018

2018 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 12

Like TV stations have their accelerated deadlines for commercial copy to air around holidays, Confessions of a Sportscaster is going up early this week due to the holiday and the early slate of games this week!

The coalition saw another week of shakeup at the top, with Kristen regaining sole possession of first place. You can view our picks in relation to each other here (in addition to the correct standings accounting for an early ESPN picking error).

Adam is coming off starting last week "perfect," in a sense: he's the second person in contest history to go 0-for-the-afternoon-slates and only the first to be winless going into the Sunday night contest. His Sunday night and Monday night wins were the only things that saved him from the worst week in contest history. That brutal start helped me grab six of our seven disputed games from last week, including me going two of three on hero picks. I'm still nine games out of the overall lead at this juncture though.

The last of the byes occur this week, leaving full 16 game slates over the final five weeks. As for this week, Adam and I disagree on six games out of 15. As a special holiday treat though, Adam had a guest picker to go alongside him this week:
Addy picked with me this week. I was half tempted to enter her picks, but provide both sets of explanations.
Addy's picks will appear below Adam's, but will count separate from his. They disagree on 11 games, while she and I disagree on only seven.

From all of us here at Confessions of a Sportscaster, have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Let's get to the picks.

Thursday Morning

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions (+4.5)
Lucas: Bears. I almost took the points with the Bears having a ridiculously quick turnaround of Sunday night into the early Thanksgiving game, and now that Chase Daniel is starting since Trubisky has a bum shoulder. Still, there's more than enough weapons in Chicago's arsenal. And that defense...
Lucas note: I'm switching the order on this one solely for context.
Addy: Bears. Because Aiden screamed from the other room, "Always Bears!"
Adam: Bears. But seriously, Always Bears! The Biscuit with a sore arm and a quick turn, looks like the backup Chase Daniel will get the start. Despite that, I'll take a mediocre QB2 and our running back corps over Detroit any day.

Thursday Afternoon

Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys (-7.5)
Lucas: Cowboys. I'm not sold on Colt McCoy. Also, this is eerie.
Lucas note: Get well soon, Alex.
Adam: Redskins. Even with a backup quarterback in Colt McCoy (Horns Down, that's for you Joe), I will take the Skins and the points. Also, a moment of silence for the new back up QB for the Skins, Dirty Sanchez, on this the anniversary of the Butt Fumble...

Addy: Cowboys. Because my friends (from school) Donte and Matthew are "playing" for the Cowboys.

Thursday Night

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints (-13.5)
Lucas: Saints. I should really think about taking the points, but it's in New Orleans and the Saints are laying siege to everything in their path right now. And do you really think the Falcons can keep up with the Saints again?
Adam: Saints. How can you go against Brees at home, in primetime on Turkey day? The line concerns me, but I'll roll with it and take the chance.
Addy: Falcons. Because... I don't know why... do you know why? Actually, I love the Falcons because I have never seen one and I want to see one.
Lucas note: Seems like a fair rationale to me!

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Buffalo Bills (+3.5)
Lucas: Bills. I thought about sticking with Jacksonville here, but I feel like they would have gotten up a little more for the Pittsburgh game given the recent history, and the Bills may be a letdown game, especially with Petermeme exiled.
Adam. Jaguars. Not much to like here in this game. A fading Jags squad and just a piss poor Bills team. The Bills' defense has been decent save for the first week, but the offense is pitiful.
Addy: Jaguars. I like the name, it's a cat name and a zoo name, a tiger at the zoo.
Lucas note: *resists urge to make a Trump tweet joke*

Cleveland Browns @ Cincinnati Bengals (-3.5)
Lucas: Browns. Taking the points and leaving this game behind forevermore. Contract both teams.
Adam: Browns. The Battle of Ohio, or as I like to say, "Who is the better bad team in Ohio?" I'll take the OU alum Baker Mayfield (Boomer Sooner, that's also for you Joe).
Lucas note: I might need to get Joe in as a guest picker one week for fairness. But then again, given all the potshots I've taken at my dad and the fact that he's only had one opportunity to pick on here...
Addy: Browns. Because its a type of bear, and bears are at the zoo too.
Lucas note: I've never really gotten into The Office, but this was my immediate thought upon reading this.

Oakland Raiders @ Baltimore Ravens (-10.5)
Lucas: Ravens. Don't bet against John Harbaugh, especially at home, in November. I know Oakland just pulled off its second win of the year, but I don't see them getting a third here.
Adam: Raiders. This is by no means support of Gruden; rather it is a dig at the Ravens. I know the Raiders are bad, but I do not like the 10.5 points in this spot. I'll take them and pray.
Addy: Ravens. Because they are birds and they are purplish blackish.
Adam note: I am surprised she did not say they are in a zoo.

New England Patriots @ New York Jets (+9.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Happy anniversary. (I know it's tomorrow and Sanchez is in Washington, but still.)
Adam: Patriots. Brady and Company having two weeks to think about their atrocious loss to the Titans, who then proceeded to s*** the bed against the Colts the next week, will come out with fire. What is it you say Lucas, never bet against an angry Tom?
Lucas note: Close enough and still accurate.
Addy: Jets. Because they are from New York, a city in New York, and a Jet like a jet pack.
Lucas note: This almost sounds like an Aiden rationale.

New York Giants @ Philadelphia Eagles (-6.5)
Lucas: Giants. The Eagles are really struggling, and getting almost a touchdown almost seems like a gift. I'll take the points and hope Philly doesn't pick this week to get its act together.
Adam: Giants. One last ride for Manning. He will rise up and take down the Eagles. I got the G-Men straight up, but the points will just be gravy.
Addy: Eagles. I think because they are Eagles and they fly.
Lucas note: And can also been seen in a zoo.

San Francisco 49ers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-3.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. I really shouldn't bet on The Bakery since he replaced Fitzmagic again, but you don't take a West Coast team playing at noon.
Adam: Buccaneers. How many times this year will Winston and Fitzmagic change out? I predict another change because (yes Lucas, I am stealing it) Winston will show why he is such a great baker, 'cause he is great at making turnovers.
Lucas note: I have to. Also, video contains NSFW language.
Addy: 49ers. It's San Francisco and it where Stephanie and her daddies Danny, Joey and Jessie live.
Lucas note: BAH GAWD, THAT'S THE TANNER FAMILY'S MUSIC!

Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers (-3.5)
Lucas: Panthers. Again... West Coast team, noon. Also, letdown game after beating Green Bay.
Adam: Panthers. At home, the team has been doing generally well, so I'll go with them.
Addy: Panthers. They are type of cat, a black cat, and I like cats so I pick them.
Lucas note: Kristen, Rory, Lily, Jedi, and especially Rascal, Gizmo, and Luna approve.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Arizona Cardinals @ Los Angeles Chargers (-12.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Almost two touchdowns is a lot to lay, but the Cardinals just lost to the freaking Raiders. Come on.
Adam: Cardinals. Don't love this spot or the line. Also, given how many Chargers fans have been showing up to the games this year, it may be more like a home game for Arizona, not LA. I'll take the points and hope DJ can spin it up.
Addy: Chargers. Because they power up my iPad, you know like with the power cords and the chargers...

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos (+3.5)
Lucas: Steelers. I'm going to go with a rebound for the visitors after just barely squeaking by the Jags and a letdown following a nice Broncos upset.
Adam: Steelers. Gritty win last week that they really didn't deserve. Big Ben with a last min TD by, as he said, "Forcing [him]self into spaces that he doesn't belong"...? Well, okay then...
Addy: Broncos. Because they are... I don't know how to explain it.
Lucas note: Horses? That would be my assumption.

Miami Dolphins @ Indianapolis Colts (-9.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. I shouldn't discount a team that's kept Andrew Luck upright for five straight games, but I don't think the Colts should be double digit favorites against anyone, even a mediocre Dolphins team. Taking the points.
Adam: Colts. Credit where credit is due: the Colts beat the Titans and the Titans beat the Pats, so by definition the Colts are better than the Pats...? Shut up, I like my logic; let me wallow in last place.
Addy: Dolphins. Because they are an ocean thing and they are at the zoo, too.

Sunday Night

Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings (-3.5)
Lucas: Vikings. I thought about using this space to scream at the NFL about yet another controversial call benefitting the Seahawks in Seattle, but Mike McCarthy is a coward and Aaron Rodgers looked... not so much like Aaron Rodgers at times.
Lucas note: This haunts me. The fact that it's now a meme almost haunts me more.
Adam: Packers. Minnesota will be demoralized after the loss to the Bears. Also, a Packers win (after the Bears win on Thursday) all but seals the North for the Bears... God help me... Go Pack!
Addy: Vikings. Because the Minnesota is a city and I don't know what a Viking is so yeah.
Lucas note: Crazy bearded guys who liked to fight? Or my personal favorite Viking, crazy not-bearded guys who like to throw their sports coats five rows deep into the bleachers?
Lucas note: Shameless plug: The Grey Giovanine Jacket Watch resumes January 30th at Merner Fieldhouse!

Monday Night

Tennessee Titans @ Houston Texans (-6.5)
Lucas: Texans. Tennessee's in a freefall and the Texans are red hot. Riding that hand.
Adam: Texans. Mariota is hurt and the offense in Houston is that much better. I still don't understand how the Titans beat the Pats.
Lucas note: Football is weird.
Addy: Titans. That's all, because Titan is a roller coaster (at Six Flags Over Texas).

Records So Far
Lucas: 74-87 (7-6 last week)
Adam: 57-104 (2-11 last week)
Geoffrey: 72-89 (5-8 last week)
Joe: 81-80 (5-8 last week)
Aiden: 82-79 (3-10 last week)
Kristen: 83-78 (8-5 last week)
Jen: 79-82 (6-7 last week)
Addy: 0-0

No comments:

Post a Comment