Thursday, November 3, 2022

2022 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 9

It seems like the coalition is starting to find its footing as we enter our ninth week of picking NFL games against the spread!

It was a pretty good week on the whole for pretty much everyone involved. I can't complain in the grand scheme of things given my spot atop the group standings. Column-wise, I like where I'm at after having taken four of six disputed games from Adam, three of four from Joe, and they split their four disputed games, factoring in Adam's last minute change that has been updated on the Week 8 post and is his second of four allotted post-column changes this season.

You can view how we've all picked in relation to each other here; we're slowly climbing up in consensus picks, though hero picks have mostly continued to work fairly well for us. Adam is also charting how we've picked in home/road favorite/underdog scenarios, as well as by game time.

As we get set to finish the first half of the campaign, Adam and I disagree on six games out of 13, Joe and I on three, and Joe and Adam on seven. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

Philadelphia Eagles @ Houston Texans (+13.5)
Lucas: Eagles.


Adam: Texans. Philly is certainly good enough to win by this margin, but I think this is a little of an overreaction to AJ Brown and his three first half touchdowns last week. Plus, Houston has played tough this year, even if in defeat.
Joe: Eagles.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Los Angeles Chargers @ Atlanta Falcons (+2.5)
Lucas: Chargers. Honestly, I'm just amazed the Falcons didn't Falcon.
Adam: Chargers. Like Houston above, Atlanta has played well this year and should keep this game close. Depending on what weapons Herbert has this week, this is either a close cover or a blowout cover.
Joe: Falcons.

Miami Dolphins @ Chicago Bears (+4.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Chicago might be turning a corner offensively, so there's reason for some optimism. On defense though... have fun getting lit up by Tua.
Adam: Dolphins. I feel like any game with the Bears we will see a different version of the team. Last week they kept it close at times with Dallas, but then after Hop-Gate everything fell apart. Fields will also finally have a certified #1 receiver with the addition of Claypool.
Joe: Dolphins.

Carolina Panthers @ Cincinnati Bengals (-8.5)
Lucas: Panthers. The DJ Moore play reminded me of the 2019 NCAA D-III playoffs because a game-tying (or would-be) touchdown was celebrated in a manner that draws an unsportsmanlike conduct flag and the PAT was missed, ultimately resulting in a loss. But at least Carolina didn't miss it twice...

Lucas note: I'm not apologizing, Wheaton fans.
Adam: Panthers. Can I get an AMEN for that Hail Mary bomb by PJ Walker? Fun fact, he was the starting QB for the Houston Roughnecks in the prior advent of the XFL because he wasn’t drafted/wanted by any team at that time. Now look at him: he took over the starting job from Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold... ok, not that hard but still, props to PJ.
Lucas note: And now I'm sad again that Broc Rutter isn't on a roster someplace.
Joe: Bengals.

Green Bay Packers @ Detroit Lions (+3.5)
Lucas: Packers. So while I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that Green Bay stood pat at the deadline... again... I actually felt okay after the Buffalo game. And getting a bad and now seemingly tanking Lions team makes me feel okay taking the Packers again.
Adam: Lions. Cannot say I can remember the last time the Lions were this short of a line against the Packers. I am taking the Lions just on a hunch that Green Bay continues its woes, and I am picking the Lions with the points, but I think they win outright.
Joe: Packers.

Indianapolis Colts @ New England Patriots (-5.5)
Lucas: Patriots. Just seems like the way things are trending.
Adam: Colts. Not much I want to say here. I like the points and I’ll take them.
Joe: Patriots.

Buffalo Bills @ New York Jets (+13.5)
Lucas: Jets. Okay, ignoring the fact that this line seems WAY too high... you don't bet against the power of The Coin.


Adam: Jets. I don’t like this line. So I am taking the home team and MILF Hunter 3000 who has not arrived back from his prowl for Giselle.
Joe: Jets.

Minnesota Vikings @ Washington Commanders (+3.5)
Lucas: Vikings. I'm still celebrating that Dan Snyder is in process of effing off for good.
Adam: Vikings. I don’t get this line; I’ll take Jefferson for 200, Trebek. What is the number of yards receiving he will have against the Red the team the Commanders?!?!
Lucas note: I don't get this question. Washington has a middle of the pack pass defense in terms of both total yards and yards per attempt allowed, but they haven't allowed a receiver to top 100 yards since Devonta Smith hauled in eight passes for 169 back in Week 3. Granted, Jefferson is third in the league in receiving yards, so he'll probably stay around his current pace and snap that streak for the Commanders, but I'm not expecting a monster outing.
Joe: Vikings.

Las Vegas Raiders @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+1.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. I think they bounce back after a tough outing in London.
Adam: Jaguars. Fun fact: Jacksonville just traded for a player that cannot even play for them until next season! But in all seriousness, it was a great trade, and also can we just laugh at the NFL for the wildly subjective decision making for punishments? 1 year for betting like $1500 versus 11 games for a man that assaulted women. Right.
Lucas note: Funny part is, I'm pretty sure Ridley bet on a Jags game.
Joe: Jaguars.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals (-1.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. I mean, Kyler hasn't won a game since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare came out...
Adam: Cardinals. I think Arizona wins, and this line essentially makes this a game where you pick who you think will win. Also, can we all revel in how good Hopkins is? After coming back from his suspension (see above for my thoughts on the NFL punishment decisions), he has picked up right where he left off without missing a beat.
Joe: Seahawks.

Los Angeles Rams @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-3.5)
Lucas: Rams. So far this hasn't started to bite me, and I'm on alert that it doesn't, but I'm starting to count out Touchdown Tom.
Adam: Buccaneers. You heard it here first: now that Tom Brady is done with the divorce/Giselle cloud over his head, he can get down to business. I predict he will romp the rest of the way and put himself in position for #TBforMVP.
Lucas note: @OldTakesExposed
Joe: Rams.

Sunday Night

Tennessee Titans @ Kansas City Chiefs (-10.5)
Lucas: Titans. I think the Titans can at least keep this a game. Taking the points even though I think the Chiefs win, what with Andy Reid's 20-3 record after the regular season bye.
Adam: Chiefs. Henry will not go for 219 and two scores this week. Mahomie and crew come back from the bye rested and ready to finished the season and on to the playoffs.
Joe: Chiefs.

Monday Night

Baltimore Ravens @ New Orleans Saints (+3.5)
Lucas: Ravens. Maybe the addition of Roquan Smith will help solve for the choking issues the Raven defense has been having.
Adam: Ravens. Getting an upgrade at LB courtesy of my Bears. Should be a fun MNF this week.
Joe: Ravens.

Records So Far
Lucas: 58-65 (9-6 last week)
Adam: 51-72 (7-8 last week)
Joe: 50-72 (7-8 last week)
Geoffrey: 53-70 (8-7 last week)
Jim: 56-67 (9-6 last week)
Tom: 54-69 (6-9 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment