Thursday, December 24, 2020

2020 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 16

We're getting down to the nitty gritty of the NFL season, and it's crunch time amongst the coalition as well with two weeks to go.

The entire group has come back to around the same level, as just eight games separate first from last place. More important at the top... it has now become very bunched.

It wasn't a great week for me I'd say (I had at least three games I think that I lost by half a point), but it was good enough, as I took five of eight disputed games from Adam to move back into a tie for first place, and Geoffrey is only a game off of the lead. Correct standings, as well as a breakdown of how we've picked in relation to each other, can be found here

And despite him having a pretty solid season on the whole on his own merits, Adam finally decided in Week 16, in a tie for the lead, to throw a curveball.

"I had a special guest helping with my picks this week, my son Aiden. He has played in years past, but I forgot to get him set up. Joe and Jim should be happy about that because they would likely be losing to an 11-year-old, *shots fired* haha. Anyway on to my, or should I say, Aiden’s picks. Honestly I agree with most of them, there are a few I would have gone the other way, but I will stick with his picks and make them my own."

And that, dear friends, is how Adam blew an opportunity to break the even year drought (likely jinx). As we set up for what will likely be a photo finish, he and I disagree on six games out of 16.

From all of us at Confessions of a Sportscaster, have a Merry Christmas! Let's get to the picks.

Friday Afternoon

Minnesota Vikings @ New Orleans Saints (-6.5)
Lucas: Vikings. This is more an indictment of a Saints team that is good... but not that good. Taking the points.
Adam: Vikings. Brees was back last week, but looked like he was not quite 100%. Not really sure how someone can break like half of their ribs and heal to a point capable of playing within 5-6 weeks. Just expecting the same again this week from the Saints which results in a Vikes cover/win.

Saturday, Early Afternoon

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Detroit Lions (+8.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. I don't totally trust Tampa, but the Lions aren't good. Laying the points.
Adam: Lions. This could be one of the last times we see Stafford in a Lions jersey, or any NFL jersey for that matter. It’s a home game, so I’ll give the Lions the edge. They lose, but make it interesting.

Saturday, Late Afternoon

San Francisco 49ers @ Arizona Cardinals (-4.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. Is this technically a road game for the Niners since it's their temporary home stadium? I know it is, but this year is weird.
Adam: 49ers. Purely a hope that Arizona can lose so that my Bears can squeak into the playoffs. The Cardinals losing would be a massive start to this story.
Lucas note: OK, I have to ask: do you really want them in the playoffs? A hot topic up in Chicago sports radio is about how the Bears shouldn't make the playoffs as that may force change. What's your take?
Adam note: I'd rather they miss the playoffs and clean house, but if that happens I would have hoped for a better pick than in the 15-18 range.

Saturday Night

Miami Dolphins @ Las Vegas Raiders (+2.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. OK, the Raiders are actually kind of a mess.
Adam: Dolphins. I want to say something nice about the Fins, but all I can think is here is another good thing that Jon Gruden messed up. Way to go Tampa 2 boy.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Atlanta Falcons @ Kansas City Chiefs (-10.5)
Lucas: Falcons. I'm just taking the points here; Atlanta has shown they can score, so a back door cover is possible. It also allows for a choke.
Adam: Falcons. While the below probably won’t happen again this week, the Falcons will keep it close. Closer than the 10.5 line suggests, anyway.

Bruh... (GhettoGronk)

Posted by NFL Memes on Sunday, December 20, 2020
Lucas note: Late edit to add. Do you know what the Falcons' record since that Super Bowl is? 28-34. You can't make this up.


Chicago Bears @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+7.5)

Lucas: Bears. Yes... give the brass false hope to stay the course with everybody and keep the team mediocre at best.
Adam: Bears. Da Bears.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Houston Texans (-9.5)
Lucas: Bengals. I'm sorry, why are the Texans double digit favorites? Taking the points.
Adam: Bengals. 9.5, 9.5! Wow, disrespect for the team that just knocked off Pittsburgh on Monday Night Football. OL look, the Bengals are not anything special, but man, 9.5 is a little but of a slap. I mean, the Jags are only giving 7.5 to the Bears.

Cleveland Browns @ New York Jets (+9.5)
Lucas: Browns. Cleveland with a chance to steal the AFC North while the Jets screwed up their tank.

Jets fans today...

Posted by NFL Memes on Monday, December 21, 2020
Adam: Browns. Well with a loss Sunday it should seal up the #1 overall pick for the Jets... *check notes* ...”they did what?!” OK, well then congrats to the Jets for also going 1-15 next year too.

Indianapolis Colts @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-2.5)
Lucas: Colts. Most overrated 11-3 team ever.


Adam: Steelers. Revenge football. The Steelers were nothing short or embarrassed on Monday Night; this will be a comeback game where they are angry. Though I thank JuJu for his bad JuJu and handing me a seat in my fantasy league finals.
Adam note: I have been lucky enough to make both finals for the leagues I am a part of. In my big money league it was an easy W after things were tight early on Sunday. In the league I am in with Lucas, that was an entirely different story. In short, going into Monday, I was down by .44 points. I literally needed my opponent to lose half a point. Somehow his TE got injured scoring zero, and JuJu had bad JuJu and scored the needed -0.5 on the back of his fumble.
Lucas note: I had to include this story because by all measures... this comeback should have been impossible. I wish I had seen what the win percentage was going into the game, because this is some Falcons-level choking.

New York Giants @ Baltimore Ravens (-11.5)
Lucas: Giants. Just not sure I want to lay this many points.
Adam: Giants. I still like what the G-Men have when playing Jones, just not sure he is healthy to play. I’ll still take the chance that they can cover 11.5 with or without him.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Denver Broncos @ Los Angeles Chargers (-3.5)
Lucas: Broncos. Taking the points because Chargers special teams. I look forward to Justin Herbert destroying everyone.
Adam: Chargers. Herbert has been playing well this season, with a few expected bumps in the road. A 3.5 point line is a pretty low ceiling for them to eclipse.

Carolina Panthers @ Washington Football Team (-2.5)
Lucas: Washington. Carolina's had some awful luck this year; I think eight of their 10 losses have been by one possession, and they've had a chance in all of them to tie/take the lead. Some of that is on the team itself, sure, but all things being equal they'd pull some of those out. Fortunately this line fits right where I want to be.
Adam: Washington. With Haskins spending time near the pole... and Smith a solid chance to return, I don’t see how the Team does not win.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys (+1.5)
Lucas: Eagles. Let Jalen feast.
Adam: Eagles. Zeke was ruled out last week for the first time in his career. I’m not saying it’s a ruse, but it’s a ruse. The Heiferladies are shutting down Zeke for the season. They know they have no chance of making the playoffs expect for one scenario, they win out and The Team loses out. I think they are preserving Zeke for the impending trade... yes I said it.
Lucas note: You know what? I could see that.

Los Angeles Rams @ Seattle Seahawks (-1.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Partially an overreaction to the Rams' inexplicable, inexcusable loss to the Jets. I can't figure out either of these teams because both have been so up and down, so I'll ride the home team. Though I wouldn't mind being wrong here, since that could mean the road to the Super Bowl runs through Lambeau.
Adam: Seahawks. A virtual coin flip, I’ll take the team I want to succeed more from a fantasy standpoint. I have Metcalf and would love to see him rack up 125 yards and add two touchdowns.

Sunday Night

Tennessee Titans @ Green Bay Packers (-3.5)
Lucas: Packers. I'm really glad Tennessee's defense isn't very good, because this could be a barnburner.


Adam: Titans. This is a tough game. On one had I want the Packers to clinch the bye so they play soft in Week 17 to allow the Bears to possibly make the playoffs by winning out. But on the other hand... I want to see frail Packer defenders thrown to the ground like rag dolls.
Lucas note: Oh, come on, that's not gonna happen! They're going to try to shoulder bump him down and bounce off while he picks up an extra 15 yards, dragging a guy or two who are trying to wrap him up at the ankles.

Monday Night

Buffalo Bills @ New England Patriots (+6.5)
Lucas: Bills. The AFC East champ and a team eliminated from the playoffs face off... and for the first time in... what, three decades?... they're not in the places you'd think. What a world.
Adam: Patriots. Maybe I just see a little bit of a "for my own pride" game here from the Pats and old Billy boy. Bills win, but Pats cover in a close and exciting game.

Records So Far
Lucas: 111-113 (8-8 last week)
Adam: 111-113 (6-10 last week)
Joe: 103-121 (9-7 last week)
Geoffrey: 110-114 (7-9 last week)
Jim: 106-118 (8-8 last week)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment