Thursday, December 12, 2019

2019 COAS Pigskin Pick 'Em: Week 15

We're down to the final three weeks, and the race is getting a little bit tighter as the coalition comes down the stretch!

We were all pretty bunched up together this past week with relatively strong weeks across the board. Adam took four of our seven disputed games last week to push his lead to ten games with 48 to play, so at this point I'm running out of time, but my cushion for second place remains gone, as I'm in a tie with Jim and just one game ahead of Geoffrey for fourth place. It'll be a nail biter for sure.

You can view our ESPN group standings here, bearing in mind that due to various errors on my and Adam's ends, he has one more point than he should and I have one fewer point that I should. The adjusted standings, along with how we've all picked in relation to each other, are here.

Going into Week 15, Adam and I disagree on seven games out of 16. Let's get to it!

Thursday Night

New York Jets @ Baltimore Ravens (-14.5)
Lucas: Ravens. I should be hesitant to lay two touchdowns, but the Jets are awful; I'll lay the points.
Adam: Ravens. I usually don’t like double digit lines, but this one may be the exception. The Ravens are the much better team here and should steamroll the Jets into ghosts... haha.

Sunday, Early Afternoon

Chicago Bears @ Green Bay Packers (-4.5)
Lucas: Bears. I'm doing the opposite of what I did in Week 1: I want to pick with my heart again, but my head isn't sure about a Green Bay team that's been winning ugly, and since I have to lay points if I go with my heart this time... I'm going to go with my head and if I'm wrong, I still win.
Adam: Packers. This is a slippery line. The Bears are looking much better (relatively) and the Pack are just being the Pack with an aging A-A-Ron. They played a tight game earlier this year featuring only 13 total points. This game will have more, but the Pack still outlast the Bears.

New England Patriots @ Cincinnati Bengals (+9.5)
Lucas: Patriots. While I'm not a Pats fan, I've generally been a defender of their dynasty and against the misconceptions about their "cheating." Spygate was cheating, but as I understand it the violation was where they filmed from, not the fact that they were filming. Deflategate... you already know my thoughts on. This one's harder to pin down because it's so fresh and information is still trickling in, but it seems harder to justify this one. Pats still win by double digits, but the Empire appears to be crumbling.
Adam: Patriots. Roll that beautiful bean Bengals footage. Pats by 20.

Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs (-10.5)
Lucas: Broncos. I don't know for sure what's up with Patrick Mahomes' hand and Drew Lock might finally be the successor to Peyton Manning John Elway has been looking for for the second half of this decade.
Adam: Chiefs. The Broncos destroyed the Texans last week and have generally been playing close games against their opponents. But I will look back to the prior meeting in Denver as a proxy. Froggy to the house.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Detroit Lions (+3.5)
Lucas: Buccaneers. I took tons of potshots at Jim Caldwell on his way out of Detroit, but is Matt Patricia really an improvement? He's really not, but the people pining for Caldwell forget that he's a bad crunch time coach. Though I'd take him back for more of these moments:
Adam: Lions. Would I be the only one who doesn’t care about this game? ...K, your silence means no one cares. Giving the Lions the home field advantage and taking the points.

Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans (-2.5)
Lucas: Texans. I feel like this one could go either way, honestly. I like what the Titans have done recently, but I think Houston has the more explosive offense and can cover, possibly even win outright.
Adam: Titans. Weird, another game I don’t care about too much. This is the first of two meetings between these teams in the final three weeks of the season. Kudos to scheduling glitches. Henry for 200 yards and three scores.

Miami Dolphins @ New York Giants (-3.5)
Lucas: Dolphins. Eli acquitted himself all right on Monday Night Football, and you feel like he should be able to handle a still pretty bad Miami team, but the Dolphins have had a ton of fight in them all season. I'll ride that.
Adam: Dolphins. Just ‘cause I can.

Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Redskins (+5.5)
Lucas: Redskins. Washington hung tough with a good Packers team, and I just can't figure out the Eagles. The NFC Least sucks.
Adam: Redskins. If for no other reason that I want the Skins to win (in front of their 47 fans) to all but guarantee the Cowgirls will win the NFC East with a losing record.
Lucas note: I want them to fail because America will rejoice... but the Cowboys making the playoffs at 7-9 or whatever might somehow keep Jason Garrett around another year, in which case America wins as well.

Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers (+5.5)
Lucas: Seahawks. Getting taken behind the woodshed by the Rams aside... the Seahawks are legit and the Panthers are still in freefall. I don't care that this is a noon game; I'll lay the touchdown.
Adam: Seahawks. Take last week aside, Seattle is a team that should trounce the Panthers. Lines at this level usually are pretty well lined up, but I have to question this one; I would have put it closer to 7.5 or 8.5. Regardless, lay the points with confidence.

Sunday, Late Afternoon

Cleveland Browns @ Arizona Cardinals (+2.5)
Lucas: Cardinals. OBJ's been in Cleveland for not even a full season, and already wants out? This team is a dumpster fire.
Adam: Browns. Can I predict this ends in a tie? That is the only way OU fans would want it: Baker on one side and Murray on the other. The last two Heisman’s and the last two #1 overall draft selections. It will be epic.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Oakland Raiders (-6.5)
Lucas: Jaguars. How are the Raiders touchdown favorites? I don't really trust the Jags either, but come on.
Adam: Jaguars. I didn’t think I was going to have more opportunities to pick the Jags once Foles came back, but hey, last week and now I find out for the rest of the season. Foles' funeral party at my house.
Lucas note: Hater.

Minnesota Vikings @ Los Angeles Chargers (+2.5)
Lucas: Vikings. Because we have to have some stakes in next week's duel in the Twin Cities, right?
Adam: Vikings. I am not sure what to make of this game or this line; both teams have shown flashes and both have laid some eggs. I am simply going to take the team I think is better. But a Vikings L would not be unappreciated.

Atlanta Falcons @ San Francisco 49ers (-10.5)
Lucas: Falcons. I look forward to the Niners' defense getting back on track after a Mount Union-NCC style shootout and making this pick go incredibly wrong, but I'll take the points for now.
Adam: 49ers. After the impressive offensive showing from the Niners (nicely called Joe), this is a easier spot for them. It could get interesting and I could see a back-door cover, but in all likelihood Niners by 25.

Los Angeles Rams @ Dallas Cowboys (-1.5)
Lucas: Rams. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Adam: Rams. Where do I go with this one this week... do I go with the “Just checkin’ if y’all still dem boyz” meme with the Biscuit on it? Or maybe we show some “Damn Respect” to Jerra as he lost it on Dallas radio. Jim, which would you prefer?
Lucas note: Well, I took care of the meme, so feel free to show some damn respect I guess. Although really you shouldn't; I thought Jim was nuts when he was talking up the Cowboys when I was in Dallas over the summer. This proves I was right.

Sunday Night

Buffalo Bills @ Pittsburgh Steelers (-2.5)
Lucas: Bills. Buffalo hung with an elite Ravens team at home last week, with a late drive falling just short. Give this team credit; they're legit and should be able to handle the Steelers, even though they're pretty hot right now too.
Adam: Bills. Does the Bills Mafia travel? They should; I bet it would be thoroughly entertaining in Pitt. Not sure why, just a guess.
Lucas note: Over/under on the number of fights in this scenario: 19.5. I'll barely take the under.

Monday Night

Indianapolis Colts @ New Orleans Saints (-9.5)
Lucas: Colts. Going with somewhat of a letdown after an emotional roller coaster of a game and taking the points.
Adam: Saints. I’ll eat my crow, Joe. I hyped up Brees at home, and they lost. I mean, all he did was complete 72.5% of his passes for 349 yards and five touchdowns, A pretty damn good showing. But they still lost in a game I thought was a slam dunk. I see more of the same here so Saints easy.

Records So Far
Lucas: 102-106 (8-8 last week)
Adam: 112-96 (9-7 last week)
Joe: 97-111 (9-7 last week)
Geoffrey: 101-107 (8-8 last week)
Aiden: 90-118 (9-7 last week)
Jim: 102-106 (8-8 last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment